History of The American Library in Paris

 

  • icon English
  • icon Français

Timeline of the Library


The American Library in Paris was established in 1920 under the auspices of the American Library Association with a core collection of books and periodicals donated by American libraries to United States armed forces personnel serving their allies in World War I. The Library has grown since then into the largest English-language lending library on the European continent. It operates as a non-profit cultural association in France incorporated under the laws of Delaware.

In commemoration of our 95th anniversary, the Library is proud to present a comprehensive timeline of our remarkable history. The content of this timeline draws heavily from our archival collection and features photographs and correspondences that have never been shown to the public until now. The Library would like to acknowledge the interns who helped to make the timeline possible: Jean-Michel Lapointe, Lucy Lavabre, Julia Greider, and Caterina Stamou. We also thank the valuable contributions of the Médiathèque Françoise Sagan, the American University in Paris Library, the English-language Library in Angers, and the H.W. Wilson Foundation.

 

Detailed History

ALP Camp Library

During the closing years of World War I, when the United States entered the conflict, hundreds of American libraries launched the Library War Service, a massive project to send books to the doughboys fighting in the trenches - by the Armistice, nearly a million and a half books.

The American Library in Paris was founded in 1920 by the American Library Association with a core collection of those wartime books and a motto about the spirit of its creation: Atrum post bellum, ex libris lux: After the darkness of war, the light of books. Its charter promised to bring the best of American literature and culture, and library science, to readers in France. It soon found an imposing home at 10, rue de l’Elysée, the palatial former residence of the Papal Nuncio.

The leadership of the early Library was composed of a small group of American expatriates, notably Charles Seeger, father of the young American poet Alan Seeger ("I have a rendezvous with Death"), who had died in the war, and great-uncle of the folk singer Pete Seeger. Among the first trustees of the Library was the expatriate American author Edith Wharton. Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein, early patrons of the Library, contributed articles to the Library’s periodical, Ex Libris, which is still published today as a newsletter. Thornton Wilder and Archibald MacLeish borrowed our books. Stephen Vincent Benét wrote "John Brown’s Body" (1928) at the Library. Sylvia Beach donated books from her lending library when she shuttered Shakespeare & Co. in 1941.

Children Reading at ALPThe Library’s continuing role as a bridge between the United States and France was apparent at the beginning. The French president, Raymond Poincaré, along with French military leaders such as Joffre, Foch, and Lyautey, were present when the Library was formally inaugurated. An early chairman of the board was Clara Longworth de Chambrun, member of a prominent Cincinnati family and sister of the U.S. Speaker of the House of Representatives, Nicholas Longworth.

A succession of talented American librarians directed the Library through the difficult years of the Depression, when the first evening author programs drew such French literary luminaries as André Gide, André Maurois, Princess Bonaparte, and Colette for readings. Financial difficulties ultimately drove the Library to new premises on the rue de Téhéran in 1936.

With the coming of World War II, the occupation of France by the Nazi regime, and the deepening threats to French Jews, Library director Dorothy Reeder and her staff and volunteers provided heroic service by operating an underground, and potentially dangerous, book-lending service to Jewish members barred from libraries. One staff member was shot by the Gestapo when he failed to raise his hands quickly enough during a surprise inspection.

When Reeder was sent home for her safety, Countess de Chambrun rose to the occasion to lead the Library. In a classic Occupation paradox, the happenstance of her son’s marriage to the daughter of the Vichy prime minister, Pierre Laval, ensured the Library a friend in high places, and a near-exclusive right to keep its doors open and its collections largely uncensored throughout the war. A French diplomat later said the Library had been to occupied Paris "an open window on the free world."

ALP Reference DeskThe Library prospered again in the postwar era as the United States took on a new role in the world, the expatriate community in Paris experienced regeneration, and a new wave of American writers came to Paris - and to the Library. Irwin Shaw, James Jones, Mary McCarthy, Art Buchwald, Richard Wright, and Samuel Beckett were active members during a heady period of growth and expansion. During these early Cold War years, American government funds made possible the establishment of a dozen provincial branches of the American Library in Paris, even one in the Latin Quarter. The Library moved to the Champs-Elysées in 1952. It was at that address that Director Ian Forbes Fraser barred the door to a high-profile visit from Roy Cohn and David Schine,  Senator Joseph McCarthy’s notorious minions, who were touring Europe in search of "red" books in American libraries.

The Library purchased its current premises, two blocks from the Seine and two blocks from the Eiffel Tower, in 1965 - making way on the Champs Elysées for the Publicis monument, Le Drugstore. On the rue du Général Camou, the Library helped to nurture the growth of the American College of Paris’s fledgling library. Today, as part of the American University in Paris, that library is our neighbor and tenant. The branch libraries ended their connections to the American Library in Paris in the 1990s; three survive under new local partnerships.

By the time of its 95th anniversary, in 2015, the Library’s membership had grown to over 2,000. The American Library in Paris remains the largest English-language lending library on the European continent.

 

Histoire de la bibliothèque américaine à Paris

ALP Camp LibraryA la fin de la première guerre mondiale, lors de l'entrée en combat des Etats-Unis, des centaines de bibliothèques américaines lancèrent le Library War Service, un projet de grande envergure pour envoyer des livres aux « doughboys » (soldats américains) dans les tranchées - près d'un million et demi de livres jusqu'à l'armistice.

La Bibliothèque Américaine à Paris fut fondée en 1920 par l'American Library Association avec un fonds de ces livres et une devise reflétant l'esprit dans lequel elle était créée : Atrum post bellum, ex libris lux, après l'ombre de la guerre, la lumière des livres. Sa charte promettait de fournir aux lecteurs en France, ce qu'il y avait de mieux parmi la littérature et la culture américaine ainsi qu'en science en bibliothèque. Elle s'établit bientôt au 10 rue de l'Élysée, dans l'imposant hôtel qui avait précédemment servi de résidence au Nonce Apostolique.

Au début, la direction de la Bibliothèque était assurée par un petit groupe d'expatriés américains, notamment Charles Seeger, le père du jeune poète américain Alan Seeger (« I have a rendez-vous with death...») mort à la guerre et le grand-oncle du chanteur de Folk Pete Seeger. Parmi les premiers administrateurs de la Bibliothèque figurait l'écrivaine américaine expatriée Edith Wharton. Parmi les premiers habitués de la Bibliothèque, Ernest Hemingway et Gertrude Stein collaborèrent au périodique de la Bibliothèque Ex Libris, qui est publié de nos jours sous forme de bulletin. Thornton Wilder et Archibald MacLeish empruntèrent nos livres. Sylvia Beach offrit des livres. Stephen Vincent Benét écrivit « John Brown's Body » (en 1928) à la Bibliothèque.

Children Reading at ALPLe rôle permanent de passerelle qu'assure la Bibliothèque entre les États-Unis et la France fut manifeste dès le début. Le président français Raymond Poincaré, ainsi que des héros de la guerre tels Joffre, Foch et Lyautey, assistèrent à l'inauguration officielle de la Bibliothèque.Une des premières présidentes du Conseil d'Administration fut Clara Longworth de Chambrun, soeur de Nicholas Longworth, Président de la Chambre des Représentants des États-Unis.

Toute une série de bibliothécaires de talent américains se succédèrent pendant les années difficiles de la dépression, alors que les premiers cycles de soirées avec les auteurs attiraient pour les conférences, des personnages phares de la littérature française tels André Gide, André Maurois, la Princesse Bonaparte et Colette. En 1936, des difficultés financières conduisirent finalement la Bibliothèque dans de nouveaux locaux, rue de Téhéran.

Avec l'arrivée de la deuxième guerre mondiale, l'occupation de la France et l'aggravation des menaces vis-à-vis des juifs français, la Directrice de la Bibliothèque, Dorothy Reeder, son personnel et des bénévoles firent preuve d'héroïsme en assurant dans la clandestinité et au mépris du danger un service de prêt de livres aux membres juifs, interdits de bibliothèques. Un membre du personnel fut fusillé par la Gestapo pour ne pas avoir mis assez rapidement les mains en l'air lors d'une inspection surprise.

Lorsque Dorothy Reeder dû regagner les États-Unis par mesure de sécurité, la Comtesse de Chambrun saisit l'occasion de diriger la Bibliothèque. Paradoxe typique de l'occupation, le mariage fortuit de son fils avec la fille du Premier ministre du gouvernement de Vichy, Pierre Laval, assura à la Bibliothèque un ami haut placé et le droit quasi exclusif de rester ouverte et à son fonds de collections d'être en grande partie exempté de censure durant toute la guerre. Un diplomate français déclara plus tard que la Bibliothèque avait été pour Paris occupé « une fenêtre ouverte sur le monde libre ».

ALP Reference DeskLa Bibliothèque fut à nouveau prospère dans la période d'après-guerre, alors que les États-Unis assumaient un nouveau rôle dans le monde, que la communauté d'expatriés à Paris se régénérait et qu'une nouvelle vague d'écrivains américains arrivait à Paris - et à la Bibliothèque. Irwin Shaw, James Jones, Mary McCarthy, Art Buchwald, Richard Wright et Samuel Beckett furent des membres actifs pendant une période de croissance et d'expansion vertigineuses. En ce début des années de Guerre Froide, les subventions du gouvernement américain permirent la création de dix succursales de la Bibliothèque Américaine à Paris et même une au quartier latin. La Bibliothèque déménagea aux Champs-Élysées en 1952. C'est à cette adresse que le Directeur Ian Forbes refusa la visite de Roy Cohn et Joseph Schine, deux subordonnés notoires du sénateur Joseph McCarthy qui furetaient dans toute l'Europe à la recherche de livres à bannir.

La Bibliothèque fit l'acquisition de ses locaux actuels, à deux rues de la Seine et à deux rues de la tour Eiffel, en 1965 - laissant la place sur les Champs-Élysées à la fameuse institution Publicis, le Drugstore. Rue du Général Camou, la Bibliothèque contribua au développement de la toute jeune bibliothèque de l'American College of Paris. Aujourd'hui intégré à l'American University in Paris, sa bibliothèque est notre voisine et locataire. Les succursales mirent fin à leurs relations avec la Bibliothèque Américaine à Paris dans les années 90, et trois ont survécu à travers d'autres partenariats.

Depuis le tournant du siècle, les adhésions à la Bibliothèque se sont accrues jusqu'à plus de 2,300 familles et individus, dont un tiers d'américains et un quart de français. Un abondant programme du soir attire des centaines de parisiens et visiteurs pour écouter les auteurs et autres personnalités. Plus de 200 manifestations par an à l'intention des enfants, groupes de lecture, ateliers d'écriture, soirées de cinéma, expositions et autres événements ont fait de la Bibliothèque américaine un centre d'intérêt prééminent de la vie culturelle de la cité.

La Bibliothèque Américaine de Paris reste la plus importante bibliothèque de prêt d'ouvrages en langue anglaise en Europe continentale.

Vous trouverez une histoire plus détaillée de la Bibliothèque américaine à Paris dans cet article paru en 1960 dans Le Bulletin des Bibliothèques de France : Fraser, Ian Forbes, « La bibliothèque américaine à Paris », BBF, 1960, n° 8, p. 273-282

 

 

Last modified on Wednesday, 14 September 2016 08:43